Thursday, February 21, 2013

Yamaha FS1R "New Sounds for the New Millenium" six-page colour brochure, 1998


 


Yamaha FS1R "New Sounds for the New Millenium" six-page colour brochure, 1998

As I begin writing this blog post, apparently it's President's Day in the U.S.of A. Because I'm Canadian, I could be excused for forgetting this tidbit of knowledge every year until Facebook friends and Twitter start buzzing about holiday plans. But when I called my Canadian parents this cold Monday morning, who are retired and living in the Southern US through the winter months, they were a little surprised because they didn't realize it was also a holiday these parts.

For the longest time there wasn't a holiday in February, which meant having to survive more than two months without a holiday after Xmas and New Years. Yeah, I know... in this cold weather. It really did make for a long winter.

Then some genius came up with a fake February holiday called "Family Day" or some such nonsense and the next thing you know, it seemed like every province was scrambling to get in on the action. I have a general hatred of human beings, and that definitely includes families of the Homo Sapiens variety.  But if you are going to go and include a day off work, you can be sure I'll bring my shiny gold short-shorts and Keytar on that bandwagon.

Point being - just happy to have another day off and planning on keeping this blog post short so I can enjoy the day.

Now, I know what your first question is - WTF does family day mean?!?! But, brushing that question aside, I know what your second question is -  Is this really a Vintage Synth ad?

Nope. But vintage synth brochure? Maybe. :)

And it doesn't matter, 'cause the Yamaha FS1R has been one of the only things on my mind lately.  Since it came out in the late 90s, I've wanted one. I've craved it. Hurts my liver I crave it so much. But I've never managed to come across one locally. Sure, a month or two will go by when it leaves my mind, but thought of owning one always pops back in to my mind.

I believe this sickness is known as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). And the only prescription is NOT more cowbell. It's slapping down a grand on eBay on the rare occasion that they do come up. Really rare on Ebay Canada.

The brochure itself isn't in that great a shape. But again - I don't care. I want one. The green colour even hurts my eyes when I try and read it. But I don't care. I want one.

I cut the scans up into six pages rather than two long pages because of the way Blogger shrinks images above a certain pixel size. But I will put up the images of the long images when I get home today.

The first thing I noticed when I flipped open the front page was the title - and in particular the word "Millenium". Sure enough it came up as a spelling error when I typed it for the blog post. A quick Google check and... yup.  "Millennium".

Ouch.

But I don't care. I want one.

I could go on and on - but why not just read the brochure. And check out Sound on Sound's detailed review of the yamaha FS1R from 1998. Vintage Synth Explorer's FS1R page includes a few sound demos too.

Also, check out this YouTube video of the demo songs. 


Even simple Google searches make me want this baby more and more each day.

One day I'll bit the bullet. One day...




2 comments:

yamarobotronDX7s revues and more said...

I want one! and some shiny goald short shorts too! I only have some black shiny short-shorts they need to be upgraded at some point to the goald version as is my yahama dx7 its just the black one I want the shiny goald one! the microkorg too!
no keyttar though that's like kinda cheesy like the casio cz100 was dope thooo.

Javelin said...

Yup, I've seen that brochure before. Got it after I bought my FS1R off of eBay. I accidentally bought a DX11 a few years ago, figured out what FM was and decided I wanted the BEST FM synth ever produced, the FS1R! Took me a lot work to master it, wrote a manual on programming FM and then wrote an Fseq Editor to boot. These are rare synths, hard to tame, but infinitely capable. You just have to bite the bullet and buy one. www.JavelinArt.com

Post a Comment